Have you ever heard it said, that email marketing doesn’t work? I have, many times. And the thing is, it doesn’t … well, if you send one “salesy” email and nothing else, anyway!
I Tried It Once and it Didn’t Work
If I had a pound for every time I heard this, I’d be rich! However, in my experience, when you ask the person their rationale, they clam up and say “It just doesn’t”.
How many times have you seen a billboard advertisement for the first time and rushed to the shops? How many TV adverts or newspaper inserts cause you to buy there and then? The answer, at least for the large part, will be very rarely. The thing is, most of those who don’t believe in the power of email marketing have flawed views. They’re the same people who attend one networking event and expect to walk out with 30 orders. They take up the entire “get to know you better” conversation, leaving you 30 seconds to explain what you do.
The Buying Decision Process
Most of us enter some kind of "buying decision" process, whereby we assess & evaluate before reaching our decision. That process might follow this typical flow:
- Problem/need recognition i.e. I need more new customers - This is often identified as the first and most important step in the decision process. A purchase cannot take place without the recognition of the need
- Information search i.e. what can I do that will get new customers quickly - The next step a customer may take is the information search stage, in order to find out what they feel is the best solution
- Evaluation of alternatives i.e. do I need data and if so, what data do I need - People will evaluate different products or brands at this stage, based on which have the ability to deliver the benefits they are seeking
- Purchase decision i.e. purchase marketing list - This involves making the actual decision
- Post-purchase behaviour i.e. was this data list a success - Customers will compare products with their previous expectations and will be either satisfied or dissatisfied. This stage is critical when retaining customers. If your customer is satisfied, this will result in brand loyalty.
Let me tell you right now – Email Marketing DOES Work!
I’ve been in this industry for over 20 years, and I’ve seen how direct marketing has evolved. The growth of email marketing shows no sign of abating, and the reason for that is … it works!
Emailing regularly and consistently to your customers and prospects alike fulfils several purposes:
- It keeps you in the mind of the recipient
- It builds brand awareness
- It builds trust
- It demonstrates industry expertise
All of these benefits are gained before we even get into the content of your email! Even if your email isn’t opened, your brand has been seen by those recipients.
But Sending Weekly Emails Takes Too Much Time …
OK, there is a time element involved, but do you want to grow your business or not? The time taken can be as little or as much as you want.
If you prefer to DIY, then you will need to dedicate some time to get things right. You’ll need to create a template, write the email, format it, load it into an email platform and schedule it. On top of that, you’ll need to source the list of contacts you’re sending it to and manage it afterwards. It’s all perfectly do-able, you just need to give it your time.
If you don’t have the time, or don’t wish to get that involved, our e-mailer service could help. Using e-mailer relieves much of the stress, as all you need to do is write the email. E-mailer will:
- Create the template
- Insert your text
- Format the email (you get the chance to amend / approve)
- Source your contact list (based on your ideal selections – i.e. industry / geography / size etc)
- Send the emails to the contacts
- Supply you with a copy of the contact list (including full contact & company details)
- Manage the email unsubscribes
- Guide you through the analytics
If you’ve used an email marketing company before, you may have left all the marketing to them. You might not even see the data they’ve used. However, if you’re happy with their results, then great – “Don’t fix what’s not broke”, as my nan would say!
Using e-mailer, you would also receive the database of contacts, so you would have the company and contact details. Using the e-mailer analytics, you could see who had read / clicked your email and conduct further marketing to them.
How to Maximise the Broadcast
You could simply send the email and do no more – that will give you a degree of success, no doubt. However, if you really want to elevate your campaign success to the next level, you could do more. For example:
- Make a phone call to those who have opened your email or clicked a link
- Send a brochure to those who have clicked certain pages, or shown an interest in a certain product
- Connect with them on social media and engage with them – build up rapport
The follow-up actions you could take would give your chances of converting them into customers a massive boost.
In my opinion, email marketing should form an integral part of every business’s growth plans. Sure, it may take a little time to get it right, but when you do, you’ll soon see the benefits.
So ... the next time you hear someone say email marketing doesn’t work, you’ll understand, like I do, it’s their loss!
Contact me now on 01274 965411 for more information on e-mailer, or email firstname.lastname@example.org